top of page
ÔBAXÉ_MUSIC - pure sound
I deliberately do not follow the dictates of the "Loudness War"
whichs primary goal is to make a track as loud as possible to be
as high up on the volume scale in the competition of radio playlists.
In my experience and belief the goal of mastering is
- to optimize the artistic idea, the effect, the atmosphere -
in a word, the MUSIC -
- to highlight and transport the ideas of the artist (if that's possible,
because in my experience mixes are often basically perfect and require
no further aural processing)
- to work out the overall sound which the artist imagines
- to intervene cautiously and deliberately when there are tonal problems
in the mix (which often are only audible during the mastering process)
- to work out the "space in the music" ... in other words:
to shape a "3-dimensional sound image"
- to support the overall "musical story" of a production / CD -
sometimes with unconventional tools
Basically mastering is, in my opinion, to do as little as possible and
as much as good ("mastering is the art of compromise") -
not to destroy again but support what has benn created in the mix.
bottom of page